Wednesday 22 April 2009

Spring Harvest

In the twenty years since I last went to Spring Harvest some things have changed – Steve Chalke is twenty years older, grey haired and leading the big top celebrations rather than the teen sessions. Graham Kendrick is older but still as prolific with his songwriting. The venue was different too, Skegness rather than Minehead.

But despite the superficial changes some things remain the same. God’s goodness and love was still apparent in everything we did. From the little things like the atmosphere of everyone on site to the teenagers who picked my daughter up after she’d fallen over. They dusted her down, cleaned her knee and put a plaster on before helping her to where we were meeting. Teenagers I might add that I would have hesitated to talk to in the street – a lesson perhaps not to judge a book by it’s cover.

For me personally I felt as though I’d come a long way since that first visit, but also that life had come full circle.

As an 18 year old I was single, childless and had youth and vitality on my side. Now, some 20 years later, I’ve two children, rather more grey hairs and somewhat less energy than back then.

But God still spoke to me. He spoke about getting out there, into his world and his community, showing his love in practical daily tasks. Finally I realised the worth in all the domestic routines and chores I do. Showing God’s love in action isn’t some abstract concept, it’s in the nitty gritty of life. For some people it’s in the home, for other’s its at work.

But wherever we are we can find opportunities to show God’s love in action.

Obviously though, we need to share God’s love, not just keep it in a holy huddle in our churches, and that was something that was talked about a lot this week – taking church out into our community. The challenge is to get down and dirty with the poor, the needy, the lonely, the disenfranchised who live round the corner from us. We need to move forward from Hope 08, not get stuck in a rut, and so the challenge for us is to ask, ‘What next?’

No comments: